Toli Moli x Duende District present: COOK + BOOK, a friendly gathering on the last Wednesday of each month to learn more about cooking with Asian ingredients at home.
On February 28th, the second edition of COOK + BOOK will take place at Union Market with a cooking class focused on making the Lao cuisine staple, Kua Mee, led by renowned local restaurateur Chef Seng Luangrath of Thip Khao and Padaek. Stir-fried noodles sold on banana leaves or newspaper are one of Chef Seng's favorite childhood snacks. Learn how to make this comforting dish and talk to Chef Seng about what ingredients at the Toli Moli Burmese Bodega you can use for home cooking.
Following Chef Seng's demonstration, in thanks to a partnership with Harvey's Market, Almaala Farms and Toli Moli, you'll also get a "bodega bag" filled with everything you need to make your own Kua Mee at home!
This month's book available for purchase is the 2018 release Hawker Fare written by the Laotian author and chef at two-time-Michelin-star restaurant Commis, James Syhabout.
Each month at COOK + BOOK, you'll have the opportunity to:
- purchase a book written or recommended by the chef presenter
- enjoy dynamic conversations moderated by local food entrepreneurs
- take home a "bodega box" with key ingredients from class
- meet new friends interested in Asian food, culture, and cuisine
- learn a new recipe using Asian ingredients from Toli Moli's Burmese Bodega and other Union Market businesses
In collaboration with Union Market.
*Photo courtesy of Jai Williams.